James Japan's Linux Tips and Tweaks for Absolute Beginners!
From years ago I've heard of the advantages of using the Linux operating system and so I determined to make an all out effort to learn it. In 2003 I downloaded and experimented with several Linux distributions. All my previous attempts ended in discouragement. The Linux distributions I tried to install did not find all the devices on my machine, and I didn't know how to install the needed device drivers even if I had them available. I realized that if I, a person considered to be a power user in Windows and MS-DOS couldn't figure out how to install and use a Linux system, the common user who still has troubles with Windows certainly wouldn't be able to learn it either. So I determined to find a Linux distribution that I considered simple enough for the average person to install...Read on
Purpose of this web site:
- To share with those who haven't tried Linux yet that it has indeed evolved into a user friendly operating system and is a viable alternative to propriety one$.
- To explain everything in such detail that even a total "newbie" should be able to follow it!
Distributions discussedMostly Fedora but I also talk about in the blog Ubuntu, VectorLinux and Freespire.
- Updated June 29, 2008: How to install Dansguardian Web Content Filter in Fedora
- New from Feb. 7, 2011: Linux Mint Debian Lessons and Tips
- Adventures Learning Linux
- What I can do in Fedora Linux
- Linux Basics
- Fedora Lessons and Tips
- Basic Fedora Core 6 installation
- Post Fedora Core 6 installation tips and tweaks
- Post Fedora 7 installation tips and tweaks
- Fedora 8 Installation Adventure
- Blog of my adventures with Linux and various distributions
- Dangermouse's great automatic install script page. His script takes the pain out of installing all the things that Fedora cannot include for licensing reasons. For example, multimedia codecs, flashplayer plugin, Skype, Nvidia video drivers,etc.!
News about Linux from various web sites:
Comments? Questions? Errors found? Email: